Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homesick

The kids' colds finally caught up with Dann and me, and I think I feel the worst of everyone. My body and head ache along with the head cold, and I am missing home more than ever. It's one thing to be sick, but to be sick and have to take care of sick kids while traveling across a foreign country is no picnic. I think I hit a low point last night and told Dann through my tears that I was ready to go home. He just said "I think you need a warm bath."  

We made it here to Palermo last night, but not quite the way we had planned. We got to the ferry in Napoli too late, since we drove around lost for a while. Our GPS has been invaluable while we've been here, but we didn't have an exact address for the ferry (which we didn't realize until after we had left the hotel and internet access). Rather than wait until the next evening for the next ferry, which would put us in Palermo too late, we spent the night at a hotel in nearby Pompei. We found a McDonald's, which was wonderful (I never thought I would say that about McDonald's!). I have never enjoyed their food so much!

Then the next morning we got up and drove to Reggio Calabria, which is the "toe" of Italy. It was about a 6 hour drive, and we weren't feeling too well. However, we did see some beautiful country. We have driven down most of the country now. 

When we got there, we waited in line to drive our car onto a different ferry, which took only about 1/2 hour to get across the water to Sicily. The kids really enjoyed that part of the trip.
Then we drove another 2 1/2 hours to Palermo. The kids did fairly well through it all, but then when we got back into the car after checking into our hotel to go out and get dinner, Bella let us know she was not happy to be in her carseat again. It all made for a long day. 

Bella won't drink the formula we have found here, but maybe it is just because we have to use bottled water, which is never warm. I don't know what to do about this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

And, Lily fell off the bed last night, hitting the bedside table, and now has 2 black eyes (she got the other one jumping around earlier in the evening). 

I am sure things will get better. I miss normal life and all of you. For now, I am still hanging in there.


1 comment:

  1. Angie,
    I am sorry you don't feel well and that the trip didn't go as planned, that can't be fun when you are in a foreign environment. We would love to talk with you if you can get on skype. I think we'll be home most of the day today or tomorrow. I hope you get feeling better quickly. Love,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete