Thursday, October 1, 2009

Driving in Italy

I've been wanting to do this post for weeks now because I just still can't believe how people drive in Italy. Here in Napoli is the worst we've seen yet. You really have to see it to believe it. We have to drive with our side-view mirrors in all the time because we are always that close to cars. Sometimes I just close my eyes. Dann has been super cautious, which I am so grateful for, so we haven't had any accidents with the family in the car. 

However, one day Mark borrowed our rental car and had 3 different "incidents," resulting in a few scrapes that will need to be fixed. Another day, he took a taxi that got into 4 different accidents while he was in the car. 

Streets are very narrow, the people here don't drive in the lanes, and if you are turning left, you just go, regardless of whether cars are coming or not. And if you don't, the cars behind you will honk and go around you, squeezing their way into the line of cars. Pedestrians just walk across the street when they want, where they want. Cars are parked in your lane all the time, with the driver having run into a store for something. Also, half of the vehicles on the road are "scooters" or motorcycles, which zoom in and out of cars all of the time, adding to the chaos.

I am so glad that I am not driving here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment