Sunday, August 30, 2009

Downtown Adventures


Well, I did finally get that date, thanks to Mark and Brian, who even watched Bella along with Sam and Lily. Dann and I tried to go to a Broadway show, but didn't make it in time. So, instead we just walked around in the rain and saw the sights of Times Square. A man we walked by yelled to us that he was selling tickets for a comedy show. We simply said "no, thanks" and kept walking. Then he said "Wait! You guys from Utah?" A little surprised, we told him we were, and he said, "I can tell you Mormons from a mile away!" I wasn't quite sure what to think about that comment in that moment, but since then I have decided I am happy to stand out like that to some people who may be watching, for whatever reason.

The next day we went back to the tennis center for Kids Day and also watched Federer, Nadal, Murray, and Safina practice. From there we took the subway downtown again, this time with the whole crew. The kids loved the train ride. They were pretty good sports the whole time, even though it was a late night for them. 

Today we found a church about 1/2 hour away, where we really enjoyed meeting the ward members. Once again, we ran into someone from Santa Barbara who knew Dann's dad. After church, the primary workers all told me how much fun it was to have Sam there. He said the prayer for them and prayed that they would not all have their teeth fall out. Sounds like somebody has been to the dentist lately for some dental work......

We also found out today that Dann and Brian were not chosen for one of the wildcards into the tournament. So, we plan to stay here for a few more days, then will most likely head to Europe. But, one thing I have learned is that until we are on that plane, plans may change!


3 comments:

  1. Wow....the "Mormon" story is pretty neat. I remember being able to pick members out of a crowd (or on a bus, or whatever) in Europe.
    Times Square! How cool!

    Poor Sam and his teeth problems.

    Europe will be such an adventure! I wish I was coming with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie I love to read your blog! I miss you guys, but know I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mormon thing is so cool!! In ward conference, Pres. LeBaron commented how when we are together, it is hard to see a light. that is so cool how we really do stick out! You are so amzing! Good luck in Italy! I love you sooooo much! Tell Bean and Sam I love them too! oh, and Dann :) Most of the crew here still say there r's as "ay"'s (waday or shuay) the legacy will be with us forever! :) Much love!

    Ki

    ReplyDelete